Sunday, December 13, 2009

Day 96

Today I met Pat and Kathy also known as the Scarecrow and the Cowardly Lion but I'll get to that. We were supposed to go on a Literary Pub Tour, one of the most raved about tours in the city, but guess what? It never happened. The tour guides never showed up and they had even already paid for it. Luckily, I hadn't but I was still incredibly surprised. I mean, how does that happen? But, like many of my other unexpected meetings and overall bunch of craic, it turned out to be a great night. The two women were co-workers for years and were celebrating a Christmas night out. So, since the tour was a no-go we decided to create our own and there I was partying it up with two middle-aged women. We had a great night and I even managed to convince them to stay later and catch another train. We talked about everything under the sun including their kids, their love lives, my love life, and advice on all of the above. It actually made me miss mom. At one of the pubs we picked up a third accomplice, Graeme/Hank, depending on what type of mood he was in I guess. And then walked in a dog. Suddenly, in our drunken stupor we had realised that we were the characters from The Wizard of Oz. Of course, it all started with me being from Kansas City. To them, that screams Dorothy and nothing else. And what would Dorothy be without her three companions and a seeing-eye dog named Toto?

1 comment:

  1. Well Alex
    You will soon be travelling the yellow brick road back to Kansas. Our colleagues were very impressed by your blog.
    Hope you had many interesting experiences and enjoyed Paris. We have all had a lovely Christmas and am awaiting the arrival of my son and daughter for New Year dinner.
    All the best
    Cowardly Lion (Pat)

    ReplyDelete