Sunday, December 27, 2009

Day 108

Today I met, well, again this is going to be rough one so I'll call him Bob. Not very original but it's early and that's all I could come up with on my tired mind. So I met Bob at breakfast, another Australian of course and after talking for a few I realised he was looking for something to do. He had just gotten in from Australia and was frankly too tired to plan anything himself. So, being the hospitable person that I am, I invited him along so that he didn't have to sit there until he passed out from exhaustion. After we had talked on the train we realised we had a lot in common. Both of us are a quarter Polish, have one younger sibling, other rather trivial things but he seemed to find the similarities fascinating. I started noticing things getting weird when he mentioned that he "loves" a polish girl and that I had all the typical features. I had to disagree considering my cheekbones are almost nonexistent under my baby fat cheeks. Anyways, Bob was very enthusiastic about travel and at 25 years old had traveled most of Europe and Asia. His curly hair peeking out of his obnoxious Russian fur hat and his need to take pictures of himself jumping in front of monuments (you know, like High School Musical or something?) proved him to be a tourist for the rest of his days. Despite this, he was a good companion for an afternoon, however I did not know that he must have saw that afternoon as something magical. The days following I have been chased, interrupted and tracked down in order for Bob to speak to me again. His puppy dog eyes make me feel bad for not spending every waking moment with him but, quite simply, I don't want to sit for another hour listening to his love for Poland and his other travels. I don't mean to be mean but I feel a bit sorry for him. Traveling is a wonderful thing and I envy him for all the places he has been but at what point do you isolate yourself completely? It was as if he hadn't seen another pretty girl in ages and to me, what's the point in traveling if you never are able to build a relationship with someone enough to share it with them? I wish him all the best but for right now I'm creeped out and hope I can sneak out today without another awkward encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment