Sunday, December 13, 2009

Day 95

Today I met Alan, an incredibly enthusiastic tour guide who looks slightly like a pirate (talks like one too). It was a three and a half hour free walking tour through Edinburgh in an unfortunately cold and foggy morning. Well, cold is a bit of an understatement considering my extra-hot Starbucks only stayed hot for the first five minutes and it took me an hour to warm up when I finally got back. And if you would believe it, Alan was wearing nothing more than a pair of cargos, a t-shirt and a fleece zip-up. While his long stringy hair and bushy beard may have kept him slightly warmer, I still don't know how he did it and with such fervor at that. Alan was extremely knowledgeable and equally hilarious. His spastic re-enactments of millions of years of Scottish history not only kept us entertained but the other tourists riding by in their double-decker tour buses. I almost felt sorry for the driver as he continued on with his commentary which seemed to pass by everyone's ears. Alan had a ghost tour later on that night that I would have loved to go to but his creepy stories he had already told were enough to make me think twice about going home by myself at the end of the night. I only wish I had that kind of "spunk" all day everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment