Sunday, November 29, 2009

Day 81

Today I met Diarmaid, not Dermot, Diarmaid. It's Irish of course. Diamaid was the one native who could make it to own Dublin Thanksgiving but he definitely made up for everyone missing. As one of the first Irish people some of them had met, he quickly became the life of the party, even for me who is used to long, drunken, sometimes annoying chit-chats with locals. Also known as "Google," Diarmaid supplied us with useful/useless information (depending on how you look at it) as well as token phrases in Irish all night long. I am now the proud owner of the phrase "Is sin a duirt si," more commonly known as "That's what she said." And I congratulate myself for that because despite the bottle of champagne, two bears and a few shots of vodka I had that night, I still remembered it. Quite legendary if I say so myself. Diarmaid was even nice enough to take us along to the pub with him to meet us with his "Canoe Club" buddies (although I think they kayaked). The guys were a little on the odd side, but then again, so were we in our traditional indian headdresses and pilgrim hats and beards. Now that I think about it, it was a true Thanksgiving: sharing food, drinks, conversation and acquaintances; the melding of two cultures to create one pretty awesome night.

No comments:

Post a Comment