Monday, November 23, 2009

Day 73

Today I met James. My dad had left for the night and again I was sitting at my favorite bar alone. I was chit-chatting with Alan about the guys asking about me at the other end when a man next to me chimed in. "I'm sorry. I couldn't help but eavesdrop," he said. I didn't mind at all considering I needed someone to talk to while I finished up my Bulmers. James and I somehow got to talking about careers (as I've had some sudden realizations that the path I've been on is crumbling beneath me). He told me to keep my options open and as a small business owner himself, I should do the same. My current dream of opening a B&B in the irish countryside sounded like a brilliant idea to him but he demanded that I never stop writing. I don't think I ever will but I can't help but notice that the die-hard investigative journalism thing is not for me. As the glasses emptied and filled, emptied and filled, James became more enamored with me and introduced me to his friends. He was a sweet sweet guy, completely in love with his wife and happy with his career. Couldn't ask for anything better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment