Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Day 1

Over the seemingly one long day of traveling and getting settled into Dublin, I've met more new faces than I thought I would.  I would not have made it to Ireland with my sanity intact if it wasn't for Dick.  Now, the name often sends chuckles but you're lucky to get a hearty one from this quiet soul.  A father and grandfather, he's off on a first time trip to Europe, just like me.  The trip is a gift from his successful daughter just for reaching 70-years-young.  He never had a whole lot to say, but he's one of those guys that only speaks when its worthy.  I also met Liam.  He's a staff member here and bound to be the leader of the pack no matter who he's with.  He took us out for the best first night in Dublin we could have asked for and I have a feeling we'll be sticking with this kid for a while.  I was worried that I would only interact with international students and miss out on experiencing the culture with Irish students, however last night we found ourselves partying with six Irish guys.  Liam and his crew scream the epitome of the American view of the Irish.  Hair unkept, scruffy beard, a beer in hand, speech too fast for any American to understand, but not a care in the world.  I may see a deeper side to Liam down the road, but for now, he's a carefree twenty-year-old looking to entertain himself in the streets of Dublin.

1 comment:

  1. ill be reading this everyday. im stoked to hear about whats going on in the life of my sister

    good luck

    ReplyDelete