Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Day 2

Today I met Laura, my French roommate.  The first thing she said to me, "You brought a lot."  Difference in culture have been ever-present since I met her.  Our first meal was at a Lebanese restaurant.  If you can only imagine two American girls and two French girls in a Lebanese restaurant in Ireland; figuring out what an aubergine was took every culture to try to explain, but a simple eggplant being brought out to truly understand.  Laura is a sweet girl with a simple elegance to her.  Unlike what I imagined from the French, her necessities are limited and we get along very well.  (I thought the French hated Americans!)  My brother and I always wished we could learn French, and now, I want to more than ever.  I envy Laura in fact.  She speaks French, English, Spanish, and is starting to learn Japanese.  When she noticed my utter shock she said, "Some people are math people, some people are language people.  I just know languages."  Wish I was one of those.  I don't think I could've asked for a better roommate: a new culture, a sweet girl and best of all, she loves sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment