Friday, September 11, 2009

Day 4

Today I met Florent.  After consistently being embarrassed by our new Irish posse, we went to mix up the social scene a bit with some other French students.  And wouldn't you know, the French love us!  After years of hearing "don't go to France, they hate Americans" I found myself surrounded by absolutely beautiful, somewhat intimidating, however very welcoming French youth.  Florent is a man you may never find in America now, but maybe someday.  His dream is to go to America, amazingly enough.  His piercing eyes, scruffy hair, and five-o-clock shadow are enough to melt any American girl's heart, but he had the modesty and sweet personality to go with it.  I was a few Guinness deep at the moment but decided to join Florent alone in the corner of the nightclub.  He was not one for dancing or expensive drinks, but he can chug a Guinness as well as the Irish.  I don't know what it is about this place or these people, but it's second nature to come together and learn from each other.  I came to Ireland to learn about the Irish and myself, but I never imagined I would fit in so well with so many other cultures.  I'm proud and ready to submerge the culture-loving part of my heart and soul into the people of Dublin and elsewhere so I can learn more.  In fact, I want them to make me feel stupid.  That will only mean I can shed the myths and stereotypes and get down to the core of people like Liam, Carmen, and Florent.  

No comments:

Post a Comment