Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day 14

Today I met the artistic genius of Harry Clarke.  His illustrations were on exhibit in the National Gallery of Ireland and I immediately fell in love.  Clarke was an irish illustrator who drew for all of Hans Christian Andersen's fairytales, Edgar Allen Poe and my favorite poem of all time The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.  Now, anyone who knows me would be shocked at this discovery considering my life has been circling around Andersen's The Little Mermaid since almost the day I was born.  I also discovered The Rime of the Ancient Mariner when I was a sophomore in high school and have had a fantastic attraction to it ever since.  And then there's Ireland.  As I stood there in the art gallery looking at Clarke's intricate, colorful depictions of my favorite stories, I couldn't help but feel like he was another missing link in my life.  It may sound completely cheesy and like I'm writing a scholarship essay, but there is absolutely no reason for me not to believe that I'm meant to be here.  Before I came I had no idea what Harry Clarke did and how he brought all of my favorite things to life, but now I'm finding out that the Irish and I may have much more in common than I ever thought.

1 comment: