Monday, September 28, 2009

Day 21

Today I met John, our fantastic tour guide.  I have to admit, when I heard that John, who had two degrees in Irish history, would be giving us a tour of his farm, I pictured an old man.  An old man with big ears, a hat and slow gait who would reference everything on the tour to his grandfather.  Of course, it's Ireland and John is actually a dashing twenty-something with a knowledge of Irish history only a nerd like me would swoon at.  John traipsed through the farm dressed in jeans, a raincoat and boots with the confidence of years on the farm.  Come to find out, the farm has been in the family for over 200 years and they own two mountains.  You heard me, he owns two mountains.  He continued to tell us all about the farm, the landscape, the history and all the memories involved in his soothing accent that reminded me a lot of our friend Liam.  I was in love halfway through the tour and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  I braved the slippery slope of the rock mountain in an attempt to make it look like I was a country girl at heart, which I believe I am anyways.  Even if John isn't my "future husband," as my eight-year-old self would say, I could picture the life I want in the mountains of The Burren.  It was unbelievably beautiful and sitting at the top after the somewhat treacherous journey, I felt at home.  After The Burren, it's going to be hard to leave my discoveries and go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment