Thursday, October 1, 2009

Day 24

Today I met Megan.  She knocked on my door and as I opened it she had that look on her face as if to say, "Oh God, don't think I'm an idiot for asking this."  She decided at the last minute she wanted to attend a party that required a costume so she was going around asking for pieces.  She was adorable irish girl with wavy brown hair and a smile that made me turn around and look for anything to help.  Although all I could offer was a pair of knee-high socks, she was extremely grateful and swore over and over that she would bring them back (which is a good thing because I really like those socks).  I couldn't help but remember the days when the leaves were falling and the air was crisp and I would go out on a pre-Halloween scavenger hunt, going door to door and asking for random things on a list my mom made.  After Megan's knock on the door, I realized that's the thing I miss most about home right now: the fall.  It's my mom's and my favorite time year: the trips to the pumpkin farm, apple orchard and corn maze, making caramel apples, planning halloween costumes, and drinking pumpkin spice lattes when we've had a bad day.  I can't do much of that here, especially living in the city, but I can't complain.  That's what happens when you go on a mission to find yourself, you often end up alone.

2 comments:

  1. The "rituals" of our fall will be here waiting for you next year, with a new apppreciation. Hopefully you will be adding to our family "traditions" with some bits and pieces that you have gathered along the way. That's how they begin, everyone adding an ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you in the fall alix!! It's one of my favorite seasons (next to spring). I love the pumpkins and halloween and it wont be the same without you here this year to experience it. It will just make it even more special next year when you are here.

    ReplyDelete